Hard Boiled Eggs





1. Objective

The ideal hard-boiled egg should not be perfectly cooked (yolk not too runny, nor overcooked,) and easy to peel.

2. Materials and Equipment
  • Water
  • Eggs
  • Baking soda
  • Ice (optional)
  • A pot or saucepan with a lid
  • A stove or hotplate
3. Method
  • Obtain a pot or saucepan capable of holding 4-6 inches of water.
  • Place a desired amount of eggs into the bottom of the pan.  All eggs should be on the bottom of the pan. 
  • Add water to the pan.  The eggs should be fully submerged in the water with approximately 1 inch of water above the eggs.
    • Note: Older eggs are preferred for hard-boiling.  A fresh egg will sink to the bottom of a pot of water.  An older egg will appear to "stand" upright in the water.  If an egg floats all the way to the top of the water, it should be discarded.
  •  Add baking soda to the water according to the following ratio: 
    • 1 Tbs bakingsoda:: 8 Cups water
  • Place the pot containing the eggs and water onto the stove, uncovered.  
  • Turn on the heat to high.  Heat until the water has reached a rolling boil.
  • Cover the pot with a lid, and remove from heat.  Let sit for 13-15 minutes.
    • Note: This time will increase for higher altitude levels and may decrease for lower altitude levels.  According to Wikipedia, my altitude is 184 ft above sea level.
  • After 15 minutes, drain the water from the eggs.  If available, place the eggs into a bowl of ice water.  If no ice is available, place the pot under a running faucet set to the coldest setting for 3-5 minutes.
  • Consume within 1 week of cooking
Discussion

I've decided that my first recipe should be one of the easiest recipes: hard-boiled eggs.  I've also decided that I want the recipes to be in the format of a scientific protocol (or analytical procedure depending on your area of industry.)  I'm not a big fan of having to scroll though someones personal life story to eventually get to a recipe, so I'm leaving the superfluous information for the discussion at the end.

I think that hard-boiled eggs are a great addition to a lunch salad.  They are inexpensive, a great source of protein and I can prep them all on Sunday (I will get around to a post about my Sunday meal prep soon.) The only thing that I don't love about them is trying to peel them.  So, I started to research some ways to make the peeling process easier.

Older eggs are superior to fresh eggs for hard boiling becuase as the egg ages, the air pocket in the egg grows, causing the eggs to pull away from the inside of the shell.  Save those fresh eggs for poaching (I've got a pretty awesome microwave poaching method too, also coming soon) or frying.  The baking soda raises the pH of the water and egg, also making it easier to peel.  Some have noticed a stronger sulfer smell to the egg when using the baking soda.  I've noticed it momentairly when peeling, but I rinse my eggs after peeling and the smell dissapers. Cooking the eggs partially under indirect heat should help prevent the "green ring" around the outside of the yolk.  However, overcooking will also cause the green ring ring no matter what you do.  The green ring is just a chemical reaction of iron sulfide that has formed around the outside of the yolk and is still perfectly safe to eat.

And I think that wraps up my first recipe post!  If anyone has any comments or questions, feel free to let me know in the comments!


Comments

Popular Posts